The heartwarming tale of one American blogger's struggle to acquire assorted baked goods and confections.
you know you have hit your lowest point of being low when you start procrastinating your showers
So you know what I don’t get? Why people repeat words. (x)
Grammar time: it’s called “contrastive reduplication,” and it’s a form of intensification that is relatively common. Finnish does a very similar thing, and others use near-reduplication (rhyme-based) to intensify, like Hungarian (pici ‘tiny’, ici-pici ‘very tiny’).
Even the typologically-distant group of Bantu languages utilize reduplication in a strikingly similar fashion with nouns: Kinande oku-gulu ‘leg’, oku-gulu-gulu ‘a REAL leg’ (Downing 2001, includes more with verbal reduplication as well).
I suppose the difficult aspect of English reduplication is not through this particular type, but the fact that it utilizes many other types of reduplication: baby talk (choo-choo, no-no), rhyming (teeny-weeny, super-duper), and the ever-famous “shm” reduplication: fancy-schmancy (a way of denying the claim that something is fancy).
screams my professor was trying to find an example of reduplication so the next class he came back and said “I FOUND REDUPLICATION IN ENGLISH” and then he said “Milk milk” and everyone was just “what?” and he said “you know when you go to a coffee shop and they ask if you want soy milk and you say ‘no i want milk milk’” and everyone just had this collective sigh of understanding.
marry someone who has a different favorite cereal than u so they wont eat all of urs
- ghost hunters au
- ghost hunters but more like the syfy kind au
- camp counselors au
- teacher and school librarian au
- trying to beat the other one up the same really tough hiking trail au
- just starting out hipster indie band au
- really famous hipster indie band au
- sent back in time to the forties and now they have to blend in au
- children’s librarian and long-suffering relative of a small child who now has to sit through the ‘we’re so glad you’re here’ song
- 'i got up to use the bathroom and this asshole took my seat in the theater' au
- bed and breakfast au
- running an etsy store together au
- sad little teenage grocery store employees au
- gang of thieves au
- tried to pick their pocket but GUESS WHAT they’re ALSO A PICKPOCKET and they SAW THAT au
- magicians au
- famous vloggers au
- i know i already put one about teachers but preschool teacher and parent of a preschooler au
legend has it you could still hear the sound of nile screaming and shitting for weeks after.
Which meant I had to do this:
Aradiasmin, Tavrelle, Sollice, Karkarella, Nepotti, Kiana, Terezulan, Vriskahontas, Equnzel, Gamzora, Eriel, Feferi White
i’m dying send help
christ get the ambulance for me too
how could you people have missed the goldmine that is Lottie!Nepeta
I CANT BREATHE